Get Real Competition Official Rules
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN THIS COMPETITION. THIS COMPETITION IS VOID WHERE RESTRICTED OR PROHIBITED BY LAW.
This Competition is sponsored by CK-12 FOUNDATION, 3430 W. Bayshore Rd., Suite 101,
1. ELIGIBILITY: This Competition is open only to teams that consist of one (1) teacher and at least two (2) students (each, a “Team”). Each student on a Team must meet all of the following requirements at the time of entry into this Competition:
i. Must be ___13___ or older;
ii. Must be a legal resident of the United States (including Puerto Rico and its other territories and possessions); and
iii. Must be a currently enrolled K-12 student at a school (public or private).
Each Team must be led by a teacher (the “teacher-leader”) who must meet all of the following requirements at the time of entry into this Competition:
i. Must be __13__ or older;
ii. Must be a legal resident of the United States (including Puerto Rico and its other territories and possessions); and
iii. Must be a current full-time employed teacher at the school that is attended by the students on the Team.
No single individual is allowed to enter this Competition. Also, employees, agents and representatives of CK-12 and its prizing partners for this Competition and all other persons and entities directly involved in the operation or administration (including the judging process) of this Competition, as well as members of their immediate families and/or households, are NOT eligible to enter.
2. HOW TO ENTER: The entry period for this Competition begins at 12:01 AM (Pacific Time) on February 19, 2013 and ends at 11:59 PM (Pacific Time) on April 30, 2013 (the “Entry Period”). Entries received outside the stated Entry Period will NOT be accepted. It is entirely each participating Team’s responsibility to observe time zone differences.
To enter this Competition, a Team must do all of the following:
i. The Team must prepare a presentation that shows how a designated CK-12 concept applies to the real world (the “Presentation”). A list of the designated CK-12 concepts can be found under each CK-12 subject, for example the biology concepts can be found at: http://www.ck12.org/browse/biology/. The presentation may be in text, visual, or audiovisual form, or a combination of them. Acceptable file formats for the presentation are: .ppt, .pdf, .docx, .keynote, or you can provide a link for the googledoc files, YouTube videos or Vimeo. The maximum size of a upload is 20 megabytes.
ii. The Team’s teacher-leader must go to the website: http://www.ck12.org/about/get-real/ (the “Competition Website”) to register the Team by completing the entry form provided and submit the Team’s Presentation in an acceptable file format, within the stated Entry Period. On the entry form, the teacher-leader must provide his/her contact information (including a valid email address) and identify the students on the Team and the school and the class represented by the Team. In addition, the teacher-leader must submit, along with the completed entry form and the Presentation, verifiable proof of his/her employment with the school that is represented by the Team.
A participating Team’s completed entry form, Presentation, and other documentation submitted, together, constitute an “Entry.”
IMPORTANT NOTE TO ALL PARTICIPATING TEAMS:
- By entering this Competition, each participating team and each of its members expressly authorize AND ENTRUST the team’s teacher-leader to SUBMIT ENTRY, COMMUNICATE WITH CK-12, RECEIVE THE PRIZE (In the event the TEAM IS SELECTED AS a WINNER), AND HANDLE ALL OTHER MATTERS RELATED TO THIS COMPETITION, FOR AND ON BEHALF OF THE TEAM.
- LIMITED TO ONE ENTRY PER TEAM. multiple entries submitted by the same team will BE DEEMED VOID AND will automatically be DISQUALIFIED.
- Entry must be RECEIVED within the STATED Entry Period, or it will be deemed VOID.
- All entries (EXCEPT FOR PERSONAL INFORMATION DISCLOSED oN THE ENTRY FORM) will be deemed public and non-confidential. Any entry (except for personal information disclosed on the entry form) made on a confidential basis will be deemed VOID and will automatically be disqualified.
- Entries, once submitted, are NOT returnable by CK-12.
It is recommended that each participating Team keep a complete copy of its submission for its own record.
3. JUDGING & WINNER SELECTION: The judging and winner selection process in this Competition consists of the following three (3) phases:
First Round: The Presentation submitted by each participating Team will be posted on the Competition Website and be open to public voting, beginning at 12:01 AM (Pacific Time) on February 19, 2013 and ending at 11:59 PM (Pacific Time) on May 1, 2013 (the “Public Voting Period”). Votes are points based star ratings. Logged-in users can cast a vote on any Team’s Presentation during the Voting Period. Limited to one vote per user per Presentation (based on User ID). About 50 top Team’s with the most votes will be chosen to move to the second round by the end of the Public Voting Period.
Second Round: A group of judges consisting of Stanford University graduate students as selected by CK-12 will conduct judging of each Presentation that comes out of the first round, using the following judging criteria and scoring system:
i. Relevance to Concept (35 Points) – Does the entry clearly demonstrate how the concept applies directly to the application described?
ii. Impact (25 Points) – Was the entry interesting? Fun? Clever? Memorable?
iii. Creativity (20 Points) – Is the entry creative and original?
iv. Clarity (20 Points) – Was the concept described in a simple and clear manner that could be easily understood by a wide audience?
For each of the four (4) categories listed above, a Presentation will be given a score ranging from “0″ point (the lowest score) to the most points allowed for that category (the highest score). The total overall score of a Presentation will be the sum of the points that it scores in these four categories, with 100 points being the highest score. The top ten teams with the most points will move on to the final round.
Third Round: A panel of judges consisting of special guests invited by CK-12 will conduct final judging of each Presentation that comes out of the second round, using the same judging criteria and scoring system described above. The top three (3) Presentations – namely, the Presentations with the highest, the second highest, and the third highest scores – will be declared the first-place, second-place, and third-place winners of this Competition, respectively.
By entering, each participating Team and EACH OF its members (INCLUDING THE TEAM’S TEACHER-LEADER AND STUDENT MEMBERS) expressly acknowledge and accept all decisions of the judges as final and binding, and agree to be bound thereby.
4. PRIZES: Odds of Winning: One (1) first-place winner, one (1) second-place winner, and one (1) third-place winner, will be selected in this Competition.
First-Place Prize: For the Team that is declared the first-place winner (the “First-Place Winning Team”), that Team will receive one (1) Apple iPad 2 [describe the specifications] with an estimated retail value of US$__399__, and the school/class that it represents will receive up to twenty-five (25) of one of the following devices (as selected by the teacher-leader of the First-Place Winning Team) for classroom use:
- Apple iPad 2 [Black or White – Wi-Fi – 16GB], with an estimated retail value of US$_399__;
- Chromebook [Samsung – 11.6" Chrombook – 2GB Memory – 16GB Flash (eMMc) Memory – Silver], with an estimated retail value of US$_249_;
- NOOK HD tablet [7" – 16GB] by Barnes & Nobles, with an estimated retail value of US$__199__;
- Kindle Fire tablet [Black – 7" – 32 GB] by Amazon, with an estimated retail value of US$_249_.
Second-Place Prize: For the Team that is declared the second-place winner (the “Second-Place Winning Team”), the school/class that it represents will receive up to ten(10) of one of the following devices (as selected by the teacher-leader of the Second-Place Winning Team) for classroom use:
- Apple iPad 2 [Black or White – Wi-Fi – 16GB], with an estimated retail value of US$__399___;
- Chromebook [Samsung – 11.6" Chrombook – 2GB Memory – 16GB Flash (eMMc) Memory – Silver], with an estimated retail value of US$__249__;
- NOOK HD tablet [7" - 16GB] by Barnes & Nobles, with an estimated retail value of US$__199__;
- Kindle Fire tablet [Black – 7" – 32 GB] by Amazon, with an estimated retail value of US$__249__.
Third-Place Prize: For the Team that is declared the third-place winner (the “Third-Place Winning Team”), the school/class that it represents will receive up to five (5) of one of the following devices (as selected by the teacher-leader of the Second-Place Winning Team) for classroom use:
- Apple iPad 2 [Black or White – Wi-Fi – 16GB], with an estimated retail value of US$___399____;
- Chromebook [Samsung – 11.6" Chrombook – 2GB Memory – 16GB Flash (eMMc) Memory – Silver] with an estimated retail value of US$___249____;
- NOOK HD tablet [7"- 16 GB] by Barnes & Nobles, with an estimated retail value of US$___199____;
- Kindle Fire tablet HD [Black – 7" – 32 GB] by Amazon, with an estimated retail value of US$___249____.
Odds of winning will depend entirely on the quality of each participating Team’s Presentation as determined by the public votes and the judges in accordance with Section 3 of these Official Rules. Prizes are NOT assignable or transferable and are NOT redeemable or exchangeable for cash or other goods or services. THIS COMPETITION HAS NOT PREVIOUSLY BEEN OFFERED.
5. WINNER ANNOUNCEMENT: Claiming and Awarding of Prize: The winning Teams of this Competition will be announced on the Competition Website on or about May 16, 2013. Within approximately 7 days following the announcement, the winning Teams will be notified by CK-12 via e-mail sent to the designated email address of the teacher-leaders of the winning Teams. To claim the prize, a winning Team must do the following within 7 days of receiving CK-12′s winner notification email:
i. The teacher-leader of the winning Team must claim the prize by confirming receipt of CK-12′s notification email (which confirmation must be sent from the same email address to which the notice was sent); and
ii. The teacher-leader of the winning Team and the school represented by the Team must complete, sign and return all the requisite documents identified in CK-12′s winner notification email (which may include, without limitation, winner affidavits and releases, school consents, parental consents, and applicable IRS tax forms) (collectively, the “Winner Documents”), to CK-12 Foundation, Attn.: ____Get Real_____, 3430 W. Bayshore Rd., Suite 101, Palo Alto, CA 94303.
Within approximately 14 days after CK-12 receives and verifies the Winner Documents, CK-12 will ship the prize to the designated address of the teacher-leader of the winning Team, using such shipping method and carrier as selected by CK-12. Notwithstanding the foregoing, if CK-12 determines that the Winner Documents as returned are incomplete, erroneous, or otherwise not in order, CK-12 may delay the shipping of the prize until correct and complete Winner Documents are received.
IMPORTANT NOTE TO ALL PARTICIPATING TEAMS: If the teacher-leader of a winning Team cannot be contacted or fails to claim the prize or return the Winner Documents in complete and proper order within the specified time period, or if the prize is returned as undeliverable, or if a winning Team fails to comply with any of the provisions of these Official Rules, such winning Team will be deemed to have forfeited the prize. In such case, the prize will be awarded to the Team whose Presentation received the next best score as previously determined by the judges in accordance with Section 3 of these Official Rules. For example, if the first-place winning Team is deemed to have forfeited the prize, then the first-place prize will be awarded to the Team that was previously declared the second-place winner, and the second-place prize will be awarded to the Team that was previously declared the third-place winner, and the Team that received the fourth highest score will become the new third-place winner.
6. REPRESENTATIONS AND WARRANTIES: By entering this Competition, each participating Team and each of its members (including the Team’s teacher-leader and student members) (collectively, “You”) represent and warrant as follows:
i. All information and documentation contained in Your Entry are truthful, current and accurate;
ii. All members of Your Team (including Your Team’s teacher-leader and student members) meet the eligibility requirements set forth in these Official Rules;
iii. Your Entry does not contain anything that is vulgar, offensive, defamatory, libelous, obscene, indecent, racist, harassing or threatening;
iv. Your Entry does not contain any known computer virus, worm, Trojan horse, Easter egg, time bomb, cancelbot, spyware, malware or other similar programming code or data, malicious or benign, that may damage, interfere with, intercept, lock out, or expropriate any hardware, system, program, content, data, or personal information;
v. The Presentation contained in Your Entry represents Your Team’s own independent and original creation and contains no third-party work of authorship (other than material in the public domain); and
vi. Nothing in Your Entry infringes upon or violates anyone’s copyright, trademark or other intellectual property right, right of publicity or privacy, or any other right of whatever nature, or violates any applicable law or regulation.
7. ADDITIONAL CONDITIONS OF PARTICIPATION: Participation in this Competition is expressly subject to the following additional terms and conditions:
i. By entering this Competition, You expressly acknowledge and agree that: (1) the decisions of CK-12 and the judges (as applicable) in this Competition shall be final and binding in all respects; (2) CK-12 shall have the right to reject and disqualify Your Entry for any reason, in its sole and absolute discretion, including, for example, if CK-12 determines that Your Entry fails to satisfy the requirements set forth in these Official Rules, or is inconsistent with the image, reputation or policies of CK-12; and (3) CK-12′s failure to enforce any provision of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision.
ii. In consideration of the opportunity to participate in this Competition, You irrevocably and unconditionally grant to CK-12 and its partners and affiliates a non-exclusive, gratis, royalty-free, freely assignable and transferable, freely sublicensable, worldwide, perpetual right and license to:
(1) use, reproduce, display, exhibit, publish, distribute, edit, modify, adapt, create derivative works based upon, and otherwise exploit (whether commercially or non-commercially) the Presentation contained in Your Entry, in whole or in part, across all media now known or hereafter devised (including, without limitation, the Internet, mobile, digital, electronic, print, and broadcast media), for all purposes of CK-12 and its partners and affiliates; and
(2) use, reproduce, display and publish the name, likeness, voice, and other elements of identity of any member on Your Team the extent mentioned, depicted, or otherwise identified in Your Presentation, in connection with the use and exploitation of the Presentation by CK-12 and its partners and affiliates as described in (1) above;
in each case, WITHOUT any notice or compensation to Your Team or any member of Your Team (except that if You are selected as a winner in this Competition, CK-12 will award the applicable prize set forth in Section 4 of these Official Rules).
You further acknowledge and agree that use of Your Presentation shall be at the sole and absolute discretion of CK-12 and its partners and affiliates and that CK-12 and its partners and affiliates shall have no obligation to use Your Presentation, in whole or in part, in any manner or for any purpose.
iv. By entering this Competition, You further acknowledge and agree that CK-12 and its partners and affiliates as well as all other persons and entities directly involved in the operation or administration (including the judging process) of this Competition shall not be responsible or liable for: (1) any late, lost, stolen, forged, mutilated, corrupted, incomplete, illegible or misdirected Entries; (2) any errors, omissions, misinformation, or misidentification in an Entry; (3) any dispute or claim arising from Your participation in this Competition or Your receipt, ownership, possession, use or consumption of any prize, including, without limitation, any dispute or claim arising among any members of Your Team concerning the allocation, division, ownership and/or use of any prize; (4) any computer hardware, software, Internet, network, cable, phone, or other communication or technical errors, failures, malfunctions, interruptions, or delays; and/or (5) any damage to Your or any other person’s computer hardware, software or data that results from participation in this Competition or accessing, downloading or using any tools, files, data, software, or other materials in connection with this Competition.
v. By entering this Competition, You agree to indemnify and hold harmless CK-12 and its partners and affiliates and their respective officers, directors, employees, agents and representatives from and against any and all third-party claims arising from or in connection with: (1) Your breach of any of the representations and warranties set forth in Section 6 of these Official Rules; and/or (2) Your breach or violation of any other provision of these Official Rules or any applicable law or regulation.
vi. By entering this Competition, You forever release CK-12 and its partners and affiliates as well as all other persons and entities directly involved in the operation or administration (including the judging process) of this Competition, and their respective directors, officers, employees, agents and representatives (collectively, the “Released Parties”) from any and all actual and potential, known and unknown, suspected and unsuspected claims, demands, causes of action, liabilities, losses and damages (collectively “Claims”) arising from or in connection with this Competition or any prize, including, without limitation, Claims for personal injury or death, damage to or loss of property, violation of right of publicity or privacy, defamation, libel, and false light, whether intentional or unintentional, and whether under a theory of contract, tort (including negligence), warranty or otherwise.
vii. Should You be selected as a winner in this Competition, You and the school You are representing are solely responsible for paying any and all applicable taxes based upon Your or Your represented school’s receipt and/or use of the prize awarded in this Competition.
8. RESERVATION OF RIGHTS BY CK-12: If the Competition Website (or any portion thereof) becomes corrupted or otherwise malfunctions, or if infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, actions by entrants, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes, in CK-12′s sole opinion, corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper operation of the this Competition, CK-12 shall have the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any entrant implicated in such action, and/or to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend this Competition or any portion thereof.
CAUTION: Any attempt to deliberately harm or damage the Competition Website or to undermine the legitimate operation of this Competition is a violation of criminal and civil laws. Should such an attempt be made CK-12 reserves the right to seek all remedies available at law and in equity.
9. GOVERNING LAW; JURISDICTION:These Official Rules are governed by and shall be construed in accordance with the laws of the State of California, U.S.A., without giving effect to its conflicts of law rules. By entering this Competition, You hereby submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the state and federal courts located in Santa Clara County, California, U.S.A.
10. COMPETITION INFORMATION: Competition Information: To request a copy of these Official Rules, please send your request to firstname.lastname@example.org or to CK-12 Foundation, Attn.: ___Get Real___, 3430 W. Bayshore Rd., Suite 101, Palo Alto, CA 94303. To learn the number of Entries received and the winners selected in this Competition, please visit the Competition Website on or after May 10, 2013, or send your request to email@example.com] or to CK-12 Foundation, Attn.: ___ Get Real ___, 3430 W. Bayshore Rd., Suite 101, Palo Alto, CA 94303, after May 10, 2013.