Direct Variation Models (11:11)
- Describe direct variation.
- What is the formula for direct variation? What does represent?
Translate the following direct variation situations into equations. Choose appropriate letters to represent the varying quantities.
- The amount of money you earn is directly proportional to the number of hours you work.
- The weight of an object on the Moon varies directly with its weight on Earth.
- The volume of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature in Kelvin.
- The number of people served varies directly with the amount of ground meat used to make burgers.
- The amount of a purchase varies directly with the number of pounds of peaches.
Explain why each equation is not an example of direct variation.