Real World Applications – Algebra I
What’s the total cost of college?
Students will use direct variation to understand the cost of attending a four-year university.
Student will need:
- Access to internet
- Research a four-year university you would like to attend.
- On the university’s website, find how much it costs to attend that university each year.
- Create an equation to represent the total cost of attending the university.
- If I only wanted to spend a total of $20,000 on college, how many years would I be able to attend?
- If I wanted spend six years attending this university, how much would it cost?
- During a student’s first two years living on campus at a four-year university, what would the constant of proportionality be? Why?
- Would this be a direct variation relationship? Why or why not?
- What is the equation associated with this relationship?
- What is the difference between the equations of the proportional relationship and not proportional?