Real World Applications – Algebra I
Do hospital monitors represent Algebra?
- Have you seen hospital monitors? Below is an example of one. Research what some of these colored graphs represent.
- What is a function? How are functions represented on a graph? What is the vertical line test and how is it used?
- Does the graph of a hospital monitor pass the vertical line test? What does this mean about the different graphs on the monitor?
- Would it be possible for one of these colored graphs to not represent a function? What would that look like on the hospital monitor? What would that mean about the patient? Is this realistic? Why or why not?
- Research specifically what the graphs of some of these colored lines represent. Why would they only reach a certain point on the monitor? What would that mean for the patient? What are some of the trends in the data?
Connections to other CK-12 Subject Areas
- Algebra I (Trends in Data)