Mice and Alzheimer's Disease
Why It Matters
Looking For A Cure
Alzheimer's Disease is a devastating illness which affects many families. Go here to learn how scientists are using mice to help find a cure
Fortunately, with the continuing advancement of techniques in molecular biology scientists at the Max Planck have made tremendous advances. Go here to see a video of the advancements they've made: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIHOHV4ZUO4
You can read more about research at the Max Planck Institute here: http://www.mpg.de/1161288/
You can find out here how genetically engineered animals are tailored to study disease
Use the below resources to answer the following questions
- Why are scientists interested in finding compounds that will dissolve or prevent the formation of TAU deposits?
- How do TAU deposits cause nerve cell death?
- What is the relationship between the hippocamus and memory?
- How common is Alzheimer's Disease in people over 65 years old?
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8ASyPT-F0g&feature=related Youtube by animalevidence
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIHOHV4ZUO4 from Youtube by MaxPlanckSociety
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7jeCC4XmyE&feature=related Youtube by KSUCVM
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_kO6c2NfmE&feature=related Youtube by AboutAlzOrg