A Way To A Cure
Thanks to Michael J. Fox, many people who do not have friends or family affected are now familiar with Parkinson's Disease. Watch this video to find out even more.
Here's some more information about specific symptoms and progression of the disease
Here you can find out more about the interaction of dopamine and Parkinson's disease.
Here you can find out more about stem cells and processes the people at the Parkinson's Institute hope to use in their pursuit of a cure.
Here's more information about how stem cells in your body work.
Use the resources below to answer the following questions:
- What are the symptoms of Parkinson’s disease?
- What area of the brain is the source of Parkinson’s disease?
- What chemicals allow neurons to talk to each other?
- What neurotransmitters are involved with Parkinson’s disease? How do they change when someone has Parkinson’s disease? Be as specific as you can in your answer.
- Does Parkinson's disease affect everyone in the same way? Explain your answer.
- What is one of the functions of stem cells in the adult body?
- How do scientists think stem cells may lead to a cure or treatment of Parkinson's Disease? Be as specific as you can.
- How many cell types have scientists identified in the body?
- What is the difference between embryonic stem cells and adult stem cells?
- What are "Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells" (iPSCs)? How are they produced? Explain your answers as fully as you can.
- How are researchers hoping to use stem cells to cure or treat heart disease?
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yCgLythe00 Youtube CIRMTV
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4BLNWf408k&feature=related Youtube peixplain
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyBakRkzswU&feature=fvwrel Youtube DrProdigious
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVh1FZcZZVk Youtube mbrpointscom
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JTw2RpDo9o Youtube IrishStem Cell