Seen and Unseen
Seems there is more going on underground than people once thought!
So That's What's Going On
Say the word biodiversity and people's heads can go in many directions. Try it out, find some friends and family, ask them to say the first word that comes to mind and then say biodiversity to them. Did you get a range of answers? Well, that really depends on the diversity of people you asked. However, most likely people's minds didn't go to the unseen, and that is where researchers are finding amazing levels of biodiversity.
- Down and Dirty Biodiversity at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-dK7hqVBJo
No Duh's and Head Scratchers
If you need help scratching a mental itch, use the resources below:
- Why is it important to look at molecular genetic evidence when evaluating diversity in environments like soil? Can you think of other areas or systems where the use of molecular tools is essential?
- Are you surprised that they did not find diversity gradients moving from the tropics to the poles? Why or why not?
- What is the link between soil-living organisms and surface-living organisms? Do you think this link will persist as scientists test even deeper into the Earth? Why or why not?
- What effect if any does this study have on your ideas about biodiversity and patterns of biodiversity? Explain your answer as fully as possible.
Microarthopods like these were found to be the numerically dominant organisms in forest soils, while nematodes dominated grasslands.