Lymph node from a case of endometriosis. Inset shows higher magnification of endometrial glandular structures.
A Hidden Problem
The mammalian menstrual cycle is an amazing process. Through this process females' metabolisms modify as their bodies prepare to accept and care for a fertilized egg or ova. If no fertilized egg is present, then their bodies reset themselves, and the whole process starts over. For humans, this cycle averages 28 days, though it is not the same for all women. While this process is happening all the time all over the world, sometimes things don't quite go right. Here you can find out more about some problems which can occur. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L9ARf8LDug
Now that you know some about the process, you can go here to find out more details.
Use the resources below to answer the following questions:
- What is the endometrium? What is its function?
- What is endometriosis? How common is it? What happens inside someone who has endometriosis during their menstrual cycle?
- What are some of the symptoms of endometriosis? Do all sufferers manifest these symptoms?
- Can men have endometriosis? Explain your answer fully and be specific.
- What is believed to be the cause of endometriosis? Explain this theory as fully as you can.
- How can endometriosis cause infertility? Explain your answer fully, being as specific as you can.