Life With Six Legs
Why It Matters
Maybe It's Society?
Humans tend to be very proud of their societies. But they are not the only animals on the planet to form complex societies or the first.
As you've seen these insect societies are extremely variable, and part of this variability is a darker side.
For some species, this dark side has gone on so long there is no turning back.
Here you can see footage of an actual raid by Polygerus breviceps
But not all is darkness in the insect world and not all the relationships they develop are parasitic. Of course, I've never talked to a fungi, but well see for yourself.
Use The below resources to answer the following questions
- How do some ants species make slaves?
- How are the Lake Tahoe ants (Polygerus breviceps) more dependent on ants than other species?
- What seems to be the prime determinant of who wins in clashes between Honey ant colonies? How does this differ from clashes amongst humans?
- Do all bees form colonies?
- How do wasps and bees differ? Be as specific as possible
- How do Allegheny ants influence the environment around their hills?
- How does the ability to sting differ between honey bees and yellowjackets?
- How are ant farmers and humans similar?
- Explain the relationship between leaf cutter ants and their crop. Be as detailed as possible.
- Explain how ants use antibiotics. Be as complete as possible.
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-amj9kM6zKw Youtube by ForaTV
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5YaihAtnC4&feature=related Youtube By BBC
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doHrS8lhwl0 Youtube by faerthen
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHdRQ3IsK0o Youtube by MaeganWink
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH3KYBMpxOU&feature=related Youtube by hudson