Words with <dle> and <ddle>
1. Read these words aloud carefully:
2. Now sort these twenty words into these two groups:
3. Look at the six words that do not end <dle> or <ddle>. Mark the first vowel in each of them with a ‘v’. Then mark the next two letters, either ‘c’ or ‘v’.
You should find one pattern. What pattern is it? _________. According to this pattern, _____ should the first vowel be long or should it be short? _________ In these six words is the first vowel always long or is it short? ___________
4. In the VCCle pattern the vowel is _________, but in the VCle pattern the vowel is _________.
5. Now sort the fourteen words that end either <dle> or <ddle> into the following matrix:
5. When there is <le> right after a [d] and a consonant or long vowel sound right in front of it, the [d] is spelled _________. But when there is <le> right after a [d] and a short vowel sound right in front of it, the [d] is spelled _________.