1. When two letters work together to spell a single sound, we call them a digraph. Long <i> is spelled by several different digraphs. Underline the letters that spell long <i> in each of the following words. Do not underline the <gh> in words like height:
2. You should have found six different digraph spellings of [ī] in these words. One digraph occurs in nine of the words. That digraph is ________. Write the nine words below:
3. Two digraphs each occur in two of the words. Those digraphs are ________ and _______. Write the two words with the first of these digraphs in the boxes below:
Write the two words with the second of these two digraphs below:
5. Three digraphs occur in only one word each. Those three digraphs are ______, ______, and ___________. The word with the first of these digraphs is _________. The word with the second digraph is _________. The word with the third is __________.
6. The <ie> spelling of [ī] often occurs at the boundary between a stem and suffix. Analyze each of the following words into its stem and suffix to show how the <ie> spelling of [ī] comes about:
= Stem + Suffix
= tie+ ed
7. The most common spelling of [ī] is the letter _______. The second most common spelling of [ī] is the letter _________. Six other less common spellings of [ī] are the digraphs _______, ______, ______, _______, _______, and _____.