1. What always comes before <kle>, a vowel or a consonant? ________. What always comes before <ckle>, a long vowel, a short vowel, or a consonant? ________. What usually comes in front of the <cle>, a vowel or a consonant? ________
2. When they are added to stems that start with <c>, the three prefixes ad-, sub-, and ob- assimilate to ac-, suc-, and oc-, making a <cc> toward the front of the word. Sometimes the <cc> spells the sound [k]; sometimes it spells [ks].
All of the following words contain one of these prefixes. Analyze each word into prefix and stem and show where the two <c>s come from:
Prefix + Stem
ad+ c + celerate
3. Sort the words into these two groups:
4. Look carefully at the letter that comes right after the <cc> in each of the words. Then sort the words into this matrix:
5. Be ready to discuss this question: Why do the words sort out the way they do in the matrix in Item 4?