Review of Vowel and Consonant Patterns
In the words with the pattern vv# the second vowel is always the same letter. What letter is it? ___. For that reason we will call this the Ve# pattern.
2. Now sort the twenty-four words into the following matrix:
3. A vowel sound will usually be short if it is the first vowel in the patterns ________ or ________. A vowel sound will usually be long if it is the first vowel in the patterns ________ or ________.
4. Each of the following words contains two vowel letters side by side. Sometimes the two work together to spell a single vowel sound - as in play and gauze. Sometimes they spell two separate vowel sounds - as in diet and fluid.
Put a ‘1’ after words in which the two vowel letters spell a single sound and a ‘2’ after those in which they spell two separate sounds.
5. Sort the twenty words into these two groups:
6. In those words in which the two vowel letters spell two separate vowel sounds, is the first vowel sound long or is it short? ________
7. V.V. Rule. When two vowel sounds are side by side and spell two separate sounds, the first letter will spell a ________ vowel sound.
The period in ‘V.V’ is to remind us that there are two separate vowel sounds there.