More Spellings of [sh]: <c>, <sc>, <ss>, and
1. Underline the letters that spell [sh] in the following words:
2. Sort the words into these four groups:
3. Look carefully at your four groups of words and answer the following questions:
a. When [sh] is spelled , <c>, <sc>, or <ss>, are the next two letters always vowels or consonants or what? _______
b. What letter always comes right after the , <c>, <sc>, or <ss>? _______
c. Do the vowels after the , <c>, <sc>, or <ss> have weak stress or heavy stress? _______
4. There is one more spelling of [sh]. Underline the letters that spell [sh] in these words:
In these words (and pretty much these words only) [sh] is spelled or <ss> with no or second vowel following.
a. In these words what letter always comes after the or <ss>? _______
b. What letter almost always comes after that one? _______
5. In each of the following pairs of words the <t>, <c>, , <ss>, and <sc> sometimes spell [sh] and sometimes do not. Be ready to discuss why they do not spell [sh] in those words in which they do not:
6. Eight ways of spelling [sh] are ________, ________, ________, _______, _______, _______, _______, and _______.
7. Those spellings of [sh] that are always followed by an unstressed and another unstressed vowel are _______, _______, _______, _______, and _______.