Sometimes [z] is <zz>, Sometimes <ss>
1. Underline the letters that spell [z] in the following words:
2. Sort the words into these two groups:
3. The sound [z] is spelled <ss> only rarely. In fact, the words above are just about all of the cases. Notice that the <ss> is always in the middle of the word.
4. The <zz> spelling of [z] is also rather rare. It is sometimes due to twinning, sometimes due to the VCC pattern, and it occurs between short vowels and <le>:
5. Some Other Spellings of [z]. In the Russian word czar, [z] is spelled <cz>. Another way of spelling this word is tsar, in which [z] is spelled <ts>. In the word asthma [z] is spelled <sth>. And the letter <x> at the beginning of words normally spells [z]: