Sometimes [s] is Spelled <c>, Sometimes <sc>
The letter <c> spells the sound [s] only when it is followed by the letters _______, _______, or _______ . When the letter <c> spells the sound [s], it is called _____________________.
Words like the ones in each of these pairs are called homophones. Homo- means “same,” and phone means “sound.” Homophones are two or more words that have the same sound but different meanings and spellings. Can you think of a third homophone for sent and cent and a third for site and cite?
3. Underline the letters that spell [s] is each of the following words:
4. Sort the words into these three groups:
5. The <sc> spelling of [s] is very rare, but it does occur in a few common words. Underline all of the different spellings of [s] in the words below:
6. Now sort the sixteen words into these three groups:
7. Four ways of spelling [s] are _______, _______, _______, and _______.