Review of VCV Shortening Rules
1. The Suffix -ity Rule. The vowel right in front of the suffix -ity will always be ______________, even if it is the first vowel in a ______________ string.
2. The Third Vowel Rule. The third vowel sound from the end of a word will often be ______ if it is ______________, even if it is the first vowel in a ______ string.
3. French Lemon Rule. Words that have ____________ vowel sounds and were borrowed from ______________ will have a ______________ first vowel, even in a _________ string.
4. Some of the words below are instances of the three rules above. Sort them into the table:
5. Be ready to discuss this question: What were your reasons for excluding each of the six words that you did not write into the table?