1. You've seen that the suffix -ity regularly has a stressed short vowel in front of it. You've also seen that -ity is added to adjectives and bound stems to make nouns. Analyze each of the following nouns into stem plus suffix, showing any changes that took place. In the Stem column write ‘Adjective’ if the stem is an adjective or ‘Bound’ if it is a bound stem.
Analysis: Stem + Suffix
2. The suffix -ity has two other forms that are used in certain settings: -ety and -ty Underline the forms -ity, -ety, and -ty in the following words:
3. Sort the twenty-four words into these three groups:
4. You know that -ity always has a stressed short vowel right in front of it. Is the vowel right in front of -ty stressed or unstressed? _______________. Is the vowel right in front of -ety long or short? ____________. Is it stressed or unstressed? _______________.
5. What are the main differences between words in which we use -ity and those in which we use -ty?