How Do You Spell [j]?
1. You can hear the sound [j] at the beginning and end of the word judge. Underline the letters that spell [j]. Don't include any silent final <e>'s in your underlining. You should find four different spellings:
2. Sort the words into these four groups:
3. Look at the words in which [j] is spelled either <g> or <dg>. Sort them into the following three groups:
4. When there is a long vowel right in front of the [j], how is the [j] spelled, <g> or <dg>? _______. When there is a short vowel right in front of the [j], how is the [j] spelled, <g> or <dg>? _______. When the [j] is spelled <g>, which letters always follow the <g>?_______, _______, or _______. Does the spelling <j> usually come at the front, in the middle, or at the end of an element? __________ Does <dg> ever come at the front of a word? _______
5. The <dj> spelling of [j] is very rare. Find the two words from the list above in which [j] is spelled <dj>. Analyze them into prefix plus stem to show where the <dj> comes from:
Word with [j] spelled <dj>
Analysis: Prefix + stem
6. Four ways of spelling [j] are _______, _______, _______, and _______.