Sometimes -es Is [iz], Sometimes [z]
1. The suffix -s is sometimes pronounced ____ and sometimes pronounced ____, but it is always spelled ____. The suffix -es is sometimes pronounced ____ and sometimes pronounced ____, but it is always spelled ____.
2. Read these verbs. Listen carefully to the suffixes -s and -es:
3. Sort the verbs into these two groups:
4. Sort the verbs that contain the suffix -es into these two groups:
5. When the suffix -es is added to verbs that end with the letter <y> with a consonant letter in front of it, the <y> is changed to _____ and the -es is pronounced _____.
6. When you want to make a plural out of a singular noun that ends in the sounds _______, _____, _____, or _____, you add the suffix _____, and the suffix is pronounced _____.
Fit these twelve -s and -es verbs into the squares. We've given you a start: