The Diphthong [oi]
1. You can hear the diphthong [oi] in spoil and joy. It sounds like a short <o> run together with a short <i>. The sound [oi] is spelled either <oi> or <oy>. Underline the letters that spell [oi] in each of the following words:
2. Sort the sixteen words into these two groups:
Words in which [oi] is spelled . . .
3. Here are some words that contain the diphthong [oi]. They have been analyzed into their elements. Look at each carefully and notice whether the [oi] sound is at the front, in the middle, or at the end of its element:
4. Now sort the twenty words into the matrix, as we have done with enjoyment.
5. How Do You Spell [oi]? When the sound [oi] comes at the very end of an element, it is spelled _______; everywhere else it is spelled _______.
Word Venn. In circle A put only words that contain the sound [ou˙]. In circle B put only words that contain the sound [oi]. In circle C put only words that contain the sound [z]: