How Do You Spell [p]?
1. You can hear the sound [p] at the beginning and end of the word pop. Underline the letters that spell [p] in the following words:
2. Sort the twenty words into these three groups:
3. You should have found two ways to spell [p]: _____ and _____.
4. Does the spelling <pp> come at the front of any of these words? _____
How is [p] spelled at the front of words? _____. Does the <pp> spelling come at the end of any of these words? _____. How is [p] spelled at the end of words? _____.
5. More than nine times out of ten [p] is spelled <p>. Very nearly all of the other times it is spelled <pp>. So the sound [p] is spelled <p> or <pp> nearly 100% of the time. The next lesson will deal with when and why [p] is spelled <pp>.
Word Find. This Word Find contains fifteen words that contain the spelling <pp>: