Words With <ple> and <pple>
1. Earlier you saw that with the spelling of [t] before the letters <le> there are two special smaller patterns that we called the VCle and the VCCle patterns, as in title and tattle.
In the VCle pattern, as in title, the vowel will be _____, but in the VCCle pattern, as in tattle, the vowel will be _____.
The VCle and VCCle patterns hold for words that have the letters <le> right after the sound [p]. Underline the letters that spell [p] in each word:
2. Sort the fifteen words into this matrix:
3. In words that have a [p] sound with <le> right after it, if the [p] comes right after a consonant or long vowel, the [p] is spelled _____. But if the [p] comes right after a short vowel sound, the [p] is spelled _____.
4. Sort the words with short vowels before the [p] into these two groups:
5. In the VCle pattern the vowel is __________, but in the VCCle pattern the vowel is _____.
6. Two ways of spelling [p] are _____ and _____.
Word History. Although its name analyzes to pine + apple, a pineapple is neither pinenor an apple. In earlier centuries the word apple was often used to refer to fruit in general, and the word pineapple originally was used to refer to the fruit of the pine tree—that is, the pine cone. Later it was used to refer to the fruit from Hawaii because pineapples look very much like large pine cones.