The Letter <v> After Short and Long Vowels
1. Earlier we saw that, except for the word of, the sound [v] is always spelled one way.
That way is __________.
3. You should have found that all twenty words have the same pattern. That pattern is _________.
4. Sort the twenty words into the following two groups:
Words in which the <v> comes right after a ...
5. Usually in the pattern VCV the first vowel is _________. But do all of the words with <v> as the consonant in the pattern VCV have a long vowel right in front of the <v>? ________.
6. The word ambiguous means “to be indefinite; to have more than one possible meaning.” Be ready to discuss this question: Why can we say that so far as long and short vowels are concerned, the letter <v> is ambiguous?