As you saw in Chapter 8, algebraic functions not only produce straight lines but curved ones too. A special type of curved function is called a parabola. Perhaps you have seen the shape of a parabola before:
- The shape of the water from a drinking fountain
- The path a football takes when thrown
- The shape of an exploding firework
- The shape of a satellite dish
- The path a diver takes into the water
- The shape of a mirror in a car’s headlamp
Many real life situations model a quadratic equation. This chapter will explore the graph of a quadratic equation and how to solve such equations using various methods.