In this chapter you will learn about exponents. The lessons will include the laws of exponents – a review of some that you’ve learned previously as well as some new laws of exponents. You will learn to apply these laws to algebraic expressions, equations and to functions.
In addition you will learn to express numbers in scientific notation and how to perform operations with these numbers. These operations will then be applied to real-world problems. You will learn to express numbers written in scientific notation in standard form.
You will learn to solve exponential equations algebraically and how to graph exponential functions. These graphs will be extended to applications of real-world problems. These problems will include exponential functions that are referred to as growth curves and decay curves. Each of these curves have unique properties that will enable you to distinguish between the two types.
In this chapter you will do the following lessons:
- Laws of Exponents
- Applications of the Laws of Exponents
- Solving Exponential Equations
- Scientific Notation
- Operations with Numbers written in Scientific Notation
- Applications of Scientific Notation
- Exponential Functions
- Asymptotes of Exponential Functions
- Applications of Exponential Functions – Growth and Decay Curves