- Calculate the length of an arc of a circle.
Arcs are measured in two different ways:
Linear measure: This is the length, in units such as centimeters and feet, if you traveled from one end of the arc to the other end.
- Arcs can be measured in __________ ways, _____________________________ measure and ___________________________ measure.
In this lesson we study the second type of arc measure—the linear measure of an arc, or the arc’s length. Arc length is directly related to the degree measure of an arc.
Suppose a circle has:
- circumference C
- diameter d
- radius r
1. In your own words, describe the linear measure of an arc:
2. True/False: The degree measure of an arc is exactly the same as the linear measure of an arc.
3. How could you correct the statement in #2 above to make it true?