What if you were told that
△ABC≅△XYZ? How could you determine which side in △XYZ is congruent to BA¯¯¯¯¯ and which angle is congruent to ∠C? After completing this Concept, you'll be able to use congruence statements to state which sides and angles are congruent in congruent triangles.
CK-12 Foundation: Chapter4CreatingCongruenceStatementsA
Watch the first part of this video.
James Sousa: Introduction to Congruent Triangles
When stating that two triangles are congruent, use a congruence statement. The order of the letters is very important, as corresponding parts must be written in the same order. Notice that the congruent sides also line up within the congruence statement.
We can also write this congruence statement several other ways, as long as the congruent angles match up. For example, we can also write △ABC≅△LMN as:
One congruence statement can always be written six ways. Any of the six ways above would be correct.
Write a congruence statement for the two triangles below.
To write the congruence statement, you need to line up the corresponding parts in the triangles: ∠R≅∠F,∠S≅∠E, and ∠T≅∠D. Therefore, the triangles are △RST≅△FED.
If △CAT≅△DOG, what else do you know?
From this congruence statement, we can conclude three pairs of angles and three pairs of sides are congruent.
If △BUG≅△ANT, what angle is congruent to ∠N?
Since the order of the letters in the congruence statement tells us which angles are congruent, ∠N≅∠U because they are each the second of the three letters.
Watch this video for help with the Examples above.
CK-12 Foundation: Chapter4CreatingCongruenceStatementsB
Concept Problem Revisited
If △ABC≅△XYZ, then BA¯¯¯¯¯≅YX¯¯¯¯¯ and ∠C≅∠Z.
To be congruent means to be the same size and shape. Two triangles are congruent if their corresponding angles and sides are congruent. The symbol ≅ means congruent.
1. If △ABC≅△DEF, what else do you know?
2. If △KBP≅△MRS, what else do you know?
3. If △EWN≅△MAP, what else do you know?
1. From this congruence statement, we know three pairs of angles and three pairs of sides are congruent. ∠A≅∠D,∠B≅∠E,∠C≅∠F, AB¯¯¯¯¯≅DE¯¯¯¯¯, BC¯¯¯¯¯≅EF¯¯¯¯¯, AC¯¯¯¯¯≅DF¯¯¯¯¯.
2. From this congruence statement, we know three pairs of angles and three pairs of sides are congruent. ∠K≅∠M,∠B≅∠R,∠P≅∠S, KB¯¯¯¯¯¯≅MR¯¯¯¯¯¯, BP¯¯¯¯¯≅RS¯¯¯¯¯, KP¯¯¯¯¯≅MS¯¯¯¯¯¯.
3. From this congruence statement, we know three pairs of angles and three pairs of sides are congruent. ∠E≅∠M,∠W≅∠A,∠N≅∠P, EW¯¯¯¯¯¯≅MA¯¯¯¯¯¯, WN¯¯¯¯¯¯≅AP¯¯¯¯¯, EN¯¯¯¯¯≅MP¯¯¯¯¯¯.
For questions 1-4, determine if the triangles are congruent using the definition of congruent triangles. If they are, write the congruence statement.
- Suppose the two triangles to the right are congruent. Write a congruence statement for these triangles.
- Explain how we know that if the two triangles are congruent, then ∠B≅∠Z.
- What angle is congruent to ∠B?
- What side is congruent to FM¯¯¯¯¯¯?
- What side is congruent to SB¯¯¯¯¯?
- What side is congruent to IT¯¯¯¯?
- What angle is congruent to ∠W?
- What angle is congruent to ∠I?
- What side is congruent to CE¯¯¯¯¯?
- What side is congruent to DA¯¯¯¯¯¯?
- What angle is congruent to ∠G?