- 1. Preface
This chapter provides background about NASA and CK-12's collaboration, content development of the Modeling and Simulation FlexBook® textbook, and authors' bios.
- 2. Introduction to Modeling and Simulation
This chapter provides high school teachers with an introduction to the main principles of modeling and simulation as used in science and engineering,
- 3. Effectively Incorporating Modeling and Simulation into Classroom Instruction
Advances in technology have made modeling and simulation more accessible for use in the classroom. This chapter describes how to effectively incorporate modeling and simulation into instruction.
- 4. Live, Virtual, and Constructive Models and Simulations for Test and Evaluation
Test and Evaluation (T&E) is a fundamental aspect of developing a new product. This chapter identifies how Live, Virtual, and Constructive models / simulations can be used for T&E, especially for a system-of-systems in a network-centric environment.
- 5. Live, Virtual, and Constructive Modeling and Simulation for Training
This chapter provides an introduction to live, virtual, constructive modeling, and simulation for training.
- 6. Using Computer Simulation to Make Better Business Decisions
This chapter is an introduction to how computer simulation can be used in business to improve the decisions that business managers make.
- 7. Agent-based Modeling
This chapter introduces the basic concepts of agent-based modeling, and discusses the problems that are best solved using an agent-based model as opposed to traditional computer simulation methods.
- 8. Lesson Plan: Flight Fidelity - Engineering with Practical Mathematics
This lesson plan introduces the students to the concept of numerical integration. The Euler numerical integration method is then used to simulate the trajectory of a model rocket to predict maximum height.
- 9. Lesson Plan: Stress and Strength Testing
This chapter describes a unit of four lessons focusing on the concepts of stress, strength, deflection, point of failure, allowable strength, bending strength, and factor of safety.
- 10. Lesson Plan: Aliens Attack!
This biology unit integrates modeling and simulation into lesson activities to teach the engineering design process to students. It also provides students the opportunity to apply previously mastered biology content to real-world scenarios.
- 11. Lesson Plan: Troubled-Waters - Water Quality, Usage, and Reclamation
This chapter describes a 2-3 week unit featuring a simulation that allows students to follow water from pristine and logging forests through residential and commercial areas into wetlands and urban areas.
- 12. Lesson Plan: Exploring Trajectory Optimization Using Simulation
This chapter gives an extended lesson plan of trajectory optimization by designing a new route plan for a Roomba, a commercial robotic vacuum cleaner.