Credit: Charles Hutchins
License: CC BY-NC 3.0
We have looked at circular motion using the same measures as linear motion. To look at rotation in more detail, though, we need to work in rotational units - measuring the angle rotated through, the angular sped, and angular acceleration.
- Angular momentum is defined as the product of rotational inertia and angular velocity.
- Torque is defined as , where the angle is the angle between the lever arm and force . The symbol for torque is the Greek letter tau
- By definition a counterclockwise torque is positive and a clockwise torque is negative.
- Two conditions of equilibrium:
- Translational equilibrium:
- Rotational equilibrium: