This activity is intended to supplement Algebra I, Chapter 9, Lesson 2.
Problem 1 - Introduction to Area of a Rectangle
Run the AREA program (in PRGM) and select the option for Problem 1 (#1).
1. What are the lengths of the sides of the rectangle?
4. Explain how the expression for the area is simplified.
Problem 2 - Areas of Small Rectangles
5. What is the area of each small rectangle?
6. What is the total area of the rectangle?
Problem 3 - FOIL Method
Run the AREA program and select the option for Problem 3.
7. How do the areas of the small rectangles in Problem 2 relate to the expression shown on the bottom of the screen?
Practice finding the area of a rectangle and then check your answers with the program.
Practice finding the area. Record your answers here. Show each step of your work. Use the program to check your answer.
Next, you will be multiplying a trinomial (3 terms) times a binomial (2 terms) to find the area of a rectangle.
2. What method can you use to find the simplified expression for the area?