You are working in math class one day when your friend leans over and asks you what you got for the sine and cosine of a particular angle.
"I got 12 for the sine, and 3√2 for the cosine. Why?" you ask.
"It looks like I'm supposed to calculate the tangent function for the same angle you just did, but I can't remember the relationship for tangent. What should I do?" he says.
Do you know how you can help your friend find the answer, even if both you and he don't remember the relationship for tangent?
Keep reading, and by the end of this Concept, you'll be able to help your friend.
The middle portion of this video reviews the Quotient Identities.
James Sousa: The Reciprocal, Quotient, and Pythagorean Identities
The definitions of the trig functions led us to the reciprocal identities, which can be seen in the Concept about that topic. They also lead us to another set of identities, the quotient identities.
Consider first the sine, cosine, and tangent functions. For angles of rotation (not necessarily in the unit circle) these functions are defined as follows:
Given these definitions, we can show that tanθ=sinθcosθ, as long as cosθ≠0:
The equation tanθ=sinθcosθ is therefore an identity that we can use to find the value of the tangent function, given the value of the sine and cosine.
If cosθ=513 and sinθ=1213, what is the value of tanθ?
Show that cotθ=cosθsinθ
If cosθ=725 and sinθ=2425, what is the value of cotθ?
1. If cosθ=17145 and sinθ=144145, what is the value of tanθ?
2. If sinθ=6365 and cosθ=1665, what is the value of tanθ?
3. If tanθ=409 and cosθ=941, what is the value of sinθ?
1. tanθ=14417. We can see this from the relationship for the tangent function:
2. tanθ=6316. We can see this from the relationship for the tangent function:
3. sinθ=4041. We can see this from the relationship for the tangent function:
Concept Problem Solution
Since you now know that:
you can use this knowledge to help your friend with the sine and cosine values you measured for yourself earlier:
Fill in each blank with a trigonometric function.
- If cosθ=513 and sinθ=113, what is the value of tanθ?
- If sinθ=35 and cosθ=45, what is the value of tanθ?
- If cosθ=725 and sinθ=2425, what is the value of tanθ?
- If sinθ=1237 and cosθ=3537, what is the value of tanθ?
- If cosθ=2029 and sinθ=2129, what is the value of tanθ?
- If sinθ=3989 and cosθ=8089, what is the value of tanθ?
- If cosθ=4873 and sinθ=5573, what is the value of tanθ?
- If sinθ=6597 and cosθ=7297, what is the value of tanθ?
- If cosθ=12 and cotθ=3√3, what is the value of sinθ?
- If tanθ=0 and cosθ=−1, what is the value of sinθ?
- If cotθ=−1 and sinθ=−2√2, what is the value of cosθ?