About the Chapter
This chapter focuses on ethers and will discuss the basic nomenclature and properties, like polarity and boiling point, of ethers. The chapter will also study how these properties of ethers are used for industrial applications. Diethyl ethers role in illicit cocaine production, the potential of using dimethyl ether as a diesel replacement, and the use of ethylene oxide as a disinfectant will be some of the topics examined.
By the End of This Chapter, You Will Have Learned...
- How to identify ethers
- Some basic properties of ethers
- Functions of diethyl ether
- The benefits of dimethyl ether as a fuel source
- How anisole is implemented in the natural world
- Functions of polyethylene glycol