This activity is intended to supplement Algebra I, Chapter 9, Lesson 2.
Problem 1 - Introduction to Area of a Rectangle
Run the AREA program (in PRGM) and select the option for Problem 1 (#1).
Enter 6 for .
1. What are the lengths of the sides of the rectangle?
2. What is the area of the rectangle when ?
Now, change the width of the side by running the program again and enter a new value for .
3. What is the area of the rectangle when ? When ?
4. Explain how the expression for the area is simplified.
Problem 2 - Areas of Small Rectangles
The rectangle at the right has dimensions and rate of . Each piece of the rectangle is a different color so that you can focus on its area.
5. What is the area of each small rectangle?
6. What is the total area of the rectangle?
Problem 3 - FOIL Method
Run the AREA program and select the option for Problem 3.
Enter for .
7. How do the areas of the small rectangles in Problem 2 relate to the expression shown on the bottom of the screen?
Practice finding the area of a rectangle and then check your answers with the program.
8. What is the expression of the area of a rectangle with dimensions and ?
Practice finding the area. Record your answers here. Show each step of your work. Use the program to check your answer.
Next, you will be multiplying a trinomial (3 terms) times a binomial (2 terms) to find the area of a rectangle.
2. What method can you use to find the simplified expression for the area?
3. Use the letters and to determine the formula used to find the 6 terms of area shown at the right.
4. What is the area of the rectangle with dimensions and ?