This activity is intended to supplement Algebra I, Chapter 1, Lesson 5.
A function is a relation in which each input is paired with exactly one output.
For every value that goes into a function, the function outputs one unique result.
Problem 1 – Graphical
1. Can the graph to the right describe Marty’s position as a function of time? Explain.
2. What would have to happen for this graph to occur?
3. Redraw the dashed lines to make the graph a function.
Problem 2 – Set of Ordered Pairs
The first element of each ordered pair is the input value.
4. Which sets below describe a function? Explain why.
7. Which of the two solutions sets from Questions 5 and 6 is a function? Why?
8. From solutions sets above, which is true?
Problem 3 – Function Notation
Return to the Home screen.
Problem 4 – Function Machine
Run the program MACHINE and select option 1. The program will return an output for the input entered.
12. What is the unknown function?
Now select option 2.
14. What is the unknown function?
Now select option 3.
16. What is the unknown function?