This activity is intended to supplement Algebra I, Chapter 8, Lesson 2.
In this activity, you will explore:
expressions involving products and quotients with exponents
expressions with negative and zero exponents
Problem 1 - Discovering Exponent Rules
Run the ExpRules program by pressing PRGM then choosing it from the menu and pressing ENTER.
- Rule 1: Make a rule for the product of two powers with like bases.
- Rule 2: Make a rule for the quotient of two powers with like bases.
- Rule 3: Make a rule for the power of a power.
- Rule 4: Make a rule for a power with a negative exponent.
- Rule 5: Make a rule for a power with a zero exponent.
- Rule 6: Make a rule for the power of a quotient.
Use your calculator to evaluate each of the expressions shown.