This activity is also intended to supplement Algebra I, Chapter 5, Lesson 5.
In this activity, you will explore:
Creating a scatter plot representing resting heart rates versus age.
Graphing vertical and horizontal lines to show Q1 and Q3 for both the ages and the heart rates.
Using the vertices of the Q1 and Q3 lines to calculate a line of best fit and graph it.
Problem 1 - Entering the Data
Enter the 21 data points shown in the screens below in the AGE and RHR lists.
Plot this data as a scatter plot.
Problem 2 - Answer the Questions
- What are Q1 and Q3 of the ages? Graphs these as horizontal lines.
- What are Q1 and Q3 of the heart rates? Graph these as vertical lines.
- Where do these lines intersect? Write the coordinates of the four points.
- Identify the diagonal across the center rectangle that follows the direction of the points. What two intersection points does it connect?
- Use these two points to write the equation for the line that will form the diagonal using the point-slope form.
Problem 3 - Graph the Equation
Using the information from Problem 2, graph the equation of the line.