This activity is intended to supplement Calculus, Chapter 2, Lesson 4.
Part 1 – Warm-up
1. What is the range?
Part 2 – Collect & Analyze Data
- Using an I/O cable, connect the motion detector to the graphing calculator.
- On the HOME screen, run the Ranger program. Select 1:Setup/Sample…. Use the settings that appear to the right and press ENTER.
- Position the motion detector so that it is facing the pendulum, swing the pendulum, and press ENTER to begin collecting data.
- If your data doesn’t look sinusoidal, press ENTER and select 3:Repeat Sample to repeat the trial. Then press ENTER to begin collecting data again.
- Model the distance-time data with a function. Derive the velocity and acceleration equations. Select 7:Quit when you are finished.
Record your position, velocity and acceleration equations for your experiment data here: