By lighting a fire, humans can turn matter (the object that is burning) into energy (the fire/heat). Can humans turn energy into matter?
Why It Matters
- You can’t make something out of nothing, so you can’t make matter out of nothing.
- Albert Einstein theorized that matter and energy are interchangeable.
- When matter (protons) break apart in the Large Hadron Collider, they become smaller bits of matter (the subatomic particles quarks and gluons).
- A photon is a particle of light; light is energy.
With the link below, learn more about matter and energy. Then answer the following questions.
- Stuff to Blow Your Mind, Can We Manufacture Matter?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8wXKRBLcn4
- What does the first law of thermodynamics say?
- Following Einstein’s logic, how can humans (or the universe) make matter?
- When matter and antimatter annihilate each other what is left, if anything, what is gone?
- How did matter and energy originate in the Big Bang?
- How can humans make matter from energy?