Does the Universe Have a Purpose?
When the Templeton Foundation asked Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson, “Does the Universe Have a Purpose?” he answered it empirically – and with great thought.
Why It Matters
- Dr. Tyson is a rock star - an astrophysics rock star! As the director of the Hayden Planetarium in New York City he oversees the creation of planetarium shows. But his mission doesn’t stop there. To turn people on to science, Dr. Tyson is all over the airwaves and print media. The man is passionate - truly passionate - about science and science education.
- Many scientists think a lot about the fundamental questions. Heck, most other people do too. Why are we here? Where did we come from? Where are we going? The question – Does the universe have a purpose? – is right up Dr. Tyson’s alley. Questions like this have no for sure answer, but Dr. Tyson uses evidence to narrow down the possibilities.
With the first link below, to learn more about Neil deGrasse Tyson. Watch: 30 Second Science and When I look Up:
Watch the next link to see his answer to the question, “Does the Universe Have a Purpose?” Then answer the following questions.
- Minute Physics, Does the Universe Have a Purpose? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pL5vzIMAhs
- What are Dr. Tyson’s areas of interest in astrophysics?
- Why does Dr. Tyson think that creating a sentient primate (humans) is not the purpose of the universe?
- Why does Dr. Tyson think that creating a cradle for life is not the purpose of the universe?
- What are two purposes for human life that are given by Dr. Tyson? (There are undoubtedly many more.)
- Why does Dr. Tyson think that the universe looks random?
- What do you think? Does the Universe have a purpose?