Weather satellites can see the beginnings of lake-effect snow as cold air passes over a warmer lake and picks up moisture. These clouds indicate snow!
News You Can Use
- Weather predictions are about twice as good as they were as recently as 25 years ago. Forecasts are now 90% accurate.
- One reason for this improvement is weather satellites.
- Doppler radar uses Doppler shift for weather information.
- Weather satellites are aging or past their expiration dates, potentially leaving us with a gap in weather prediction information.
Can You Apply It?
With the links below, learn more about weather forecasting. Then answer the following questions.
- Science Daily, Perfect Weather Predictions, Meteorologists’ Weather Forecasting Improving (article): http://www.sciencedaily.com/videos/2008/0507-perfect_weather_predictions.htm
- Fox News, U.S. about to lose aging weather satellites (video, watch to 2:22): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6igInGVI3Bk
- How much better was hurricane prediction in 2008 (when the article was written) than it was in 1985? What does that mean on the ground?
- Why are hurricane predictions continuing to improve?
- What does Doppler radar detect?
- What are the problems facing our ability to predict the weather in the near future?
- If weather prediction capability went down by 10 years, what could be the effect on the U.S. economy?