What is the ultimate way to conserve energy?
One modern way of conserving energy is through developing an eco-city. The ultimate goal of an eco-city is to have no carbon dioxide emissions. Curitiba, Brazil is a prime example of this type of city. Research this city to learn more about how they are able to conserve energy so efficiently.
- How is their bus system unique?
- The people in Curitiba mainly live in tall apartment buildings. Below the apartment buildings are small stores, making them very convenient to the residents. How does this layout conserve energy?
- Low income people living on the outskirts of Curitiba have the option of trading bags of trash in exchange for bus tickets or food. How does this benefit the city?
- How much of the city’s trash is recycled by its residents? How does this conserve energy?
- What could you do to where you live to make it more like Curitiba?