Geothermal Power in Iceland
About 85% of power in Iceland is from renewable sources that originate on the island. Geothermal makes up about 65% of the total. What makes Iceland so great for geothermal?
Amazing But True!
- Iceland lies on the northern Mid-Atlantic Ridge.
- The North American and Eurasian Plates are pulling apart at a rate of 2 cm/year.
- The Iceland Hotspot lies beneath the island.
With the link below, learn more about Iceland’s geothermal power. Then answer the following questions.
- hab7711, Geothermal Iceland (video): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H40ZivxmBO0
- What are the sources of magma on Iceland?
- What is a volcanic system on Iceland? What features does it contain?
- Where is the geothermal power on Iceland, in the volcanically active areas or elsewhere?
- Why do the geothermal areas have high temperatures?
- How does the water get heated up?