Water is everywhere: in the ocean, in ponds and rivers, falling as rainfall and dripping from your tap. We should all appreciate water since we need it to live. Water also has some remarkable properties.
Why It Matters
Lots of people don’t have enough potable water to meet their needs. In fact, one billion people don’t have enough clean water. We don’t know everything about water. Like everyone else, you might have a hard time explaining the Mpemba Effect. It’s so counterintuitive; people still have a hard time believing that it even happens. Maybe it doesn’t happen.
With the link below, learn more about water. Then answer the following questions.
- VSauce, Water is Amazing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m3dQC6IfwY
- Why should cold water freeze more rapidly than warm water?
- How does convection explain the Mpemba Effect?
- Sometimes the Mpemba Effect seems to work and sometimes it doesn’t. What do you need to do if you’re going to do an experiment to test the effect?
- How many people on Earth do not have potable water?