What is Plasma?
A plasma globe has a high-voltage electrode at the center of a sphere filled with noble gases. When excited by electricity, the gases glow with a signature color.
Why It Matters
- Plasma is the 4th state of matter, which includes solids, liquids and gases.
- Plasma is like gas since it doesn’t have a defined size or shape.
- Stars are made of plasma and much of the space between stars is filled with a very thin amount of plasma.
With the link below, learn more about plasma. Then answer the following questions.
- Materialsatumd, Plasma: The 4th State of Matter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkeSI_B5Ljc
- How does the structure of plasma differ from the structure of gas?
- What are some products that contain plasma that you might have around your home or that you might see in the neighborhood where you live?
- What creates light in a plasma?
- Why do neon lights glow different colors?
- How is plasma used in the electronics industry?