A Habitable Planet
The Yellowknife Bay Formation on Mars contains a mudstone that revealed a lot to scientists about the past environment on the Red Planet.
Amazing But True!
- No one is suggesting that there are or ever were little green men on Mars.
- Mars was suitable for life in its past and so there may have been life.
- Curiosity’s percussive drill collected a sample.
- The sample was analyzed by x-rays to determine its chemistry, then by other methods to determine the proportions of compounds and the isotopes.
- Mars definitely had water and it had an Earth-like environment.
With the link below, learn more about life on Mars. Then answer the following questions.
- SciShow, Breaking News: Mars Suitable for Life (video): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3QNvHbXtlE
- What was the environment of Curiosity crater in Yellowknife Bay on Mars?
- What is the significance of the findings?
- What did the chemical analyses of the sediment find? Why is this significant?
- What might microorganisms on Mars used as an energy source?
- What are scientists going to look for on Mars next?