Why It Matters
When you go to the grocery store, do you ask for paper or plastic bags? Do you bring your own?
In this clip, Edward Norton pleads with you to make the extra effort to conserve our natural resources: National Geographic: Bag the BagAre there other habits that we could change in our daily lives to conserve more natural resources?
- According to a Pew Research Center survey in July 2011, 77% of teens in the United States have a cell phone. Millions of cell phones are replaced every year and only a small percentage of the obsolete phones are recycled. Where does this material go? What impact does our behavior have on the world around us?
- USGS data: http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/2006/3097/fs2006-3097.pdf
- 60 Minutes clip: http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=4586903n&tag=mncol;lst;1
- Brainstorm other excessive uses of natural resources by teens. Create a video like the Paper or Plastic clip that convinces teens to change their habits. Make sure to include:
- -the natural resource in need of conservation
- -the behavior change in teens that is needed
- -the impact it will have on our planet