What's the difference in these two rocks?
The rock on the left was the sedimentary rock shale. Now it's the metamorphic rock slate. Slate looks very similar to shale, but harder and more platy. The rock on the right is gneiss. The light and dark minerals have separated into bands. Gneiss is produced by higher temperature metamorphism. The original rock was different in both cases.
Common Metamorphic Rocks
The table shows some common metamorphic rocks and their original parent rock.
|Picture||Rock Name||Type of Metamorphic Rock||Comments|
|Slate||Foliated||Metamorphism of shale|
|Phyllite||Foliated||Metamorphism of slate, but under greater heat and pressure than slate|
|Schist||Foliated||Often derived from metamorphism of claystone or shale; metamorphosed under more heat and pressure than phyllite|
|Gneiss||Foliated||Metamorphism of various different rocks, under extreme conditions of heat and pressure|
|Hornfels||Non-foliated||Contact metamorphism of various different rock types|
|Quartzite||Non-foliated||Metamorphism of quartz sandstone|
|Marble||Non-foliated||Metamorphism of limestone|
|Metaconglomerate||Non-foliated||Metamorphism of conglomerate|
- Foliated metamorphic rocks are platy.
- Non-foliated metamorphic rocks are massive.
- The more extreme the amount of metamorphism, the more difficult it is to tell what the original rock was.
- Marble is metamorphosed limestone.
Use this resource to answer the questions that follow.
Metamorphic Rocks at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRUwchlza88 (8:57)
- How are metamorphic rocks classified?
- How do metamorphic rocks form?
- What is recrystallization?
- Why are these rocks the most dense?
- Where do metamorphic rocks form?
- Where does regional metamorphism occur?
- What is a foliated rock?
- What does shale become when heated and put under pressure?
- What is schist?
- Describe gneiss.
- What is the evidence for regional metamorphosis?
- What is contact metamorphism?
- Where does contact metamorphism occur?
- Describe non-foliated rocks.
- Why is hornfels unique?
- What does a foliated metamorphic rock look like?
- How do slate, phyllite, and schist differ from each other? How are they the same?
- What is quartzite?