Explore the Deep Sea
License: CC BY-NC 3.0
To go really deep – deeper than scuba divers – you need a submersible. Turns out that it’s possible to make one in your garage!
Why It Matters
- Oceanographers like to say that we know more about the dark side of the moon than we do about the oceans.
- Submarine builder Karl Stanley builds submarines with a variety of parts from other vehicles. He takes people down in his submarine in Roatan, Honduras.
- In the Caribbean the water is extremely clear. The photic zone is very deep compared with other places.
With the link below, learn more about ocean zones. Then answer the following questions.
- Untamed Science, The Deep Sea – Exploring the Zones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8101vCjM7nY
- What does the edge of the continent look like and what are the names of the zones?
- What is the epipelagic zone and what life forms live there in Roatan?
- In the video there is the statement that the rock wall in the mesopelagic zone was coral during the last ice age. How did the coral get so deep since the ice age?
- Why are so many organisms in the mesopelagic zone red?
- Where do the organisms of the deep scattering layer move and why?
- Where it is too deep for photosynthesis, what is the source of food?