Microalgae grown in ponds can be used where gasoline and other petroleum products are now used. Algae as fuel is renewable, doesn’t compete with food crops and is fairly clean.
Amazing But True!
- Algae biofuel research is going on in several universities, companies and even the U.S. military.
- Algae can be raised around the United States so it is a homegrown fuel source.
- Algae biofuels burn with relatively few pollutants and greenhouse gas emissions.
With the link below, learn more about algae biofuel. Then answer the following questions.
- How do algae make oil?
- How would oil come from the algae that can be used in cars?
- What does it mean that algae fuel is a carbon neutral fuel source?
- Will scientists be able to find the perfect strain of algae to grow everywhere? Explain your answer.